I wanted to share some pictures of the awesome Dead Sea and Ein Gedi Oasis. I also wanted to issue this warning about the region to those travelers under 60 and over 16....there's not much in the way of nightlife, or decent food, in the area. I imagine the food situation may have been different at a more frou frou hotel. We were not at such a place. The hotel we stayed at was kinda like a kibbutz without the work and most people ate in the communal hall around 5pm. While not ideal for us, people seemed to enjoy the group atmosphere. On the way there, we saw our first camel. Here he (she?) is.
First thing to note: Best lamb I have ever had. Ever. I wish I had taken a photo. Awesome. Second thing to note: your Jewish mom has nothing on an Arab bbq chef when it comes to force feeding. I think we had three full meals that night. It was very cool to talk to them about their experiences as friends and their thoughts about Israel. Both of them have a deep love for their country--and both seem to see it as thiers collectively--but can't see fighting one another for any of it. It was a very different take than what I had been hearing during the last week. Like most conversations over food and wine, we ended up talking about relationships, one guy was in the midst of a breakup, music and whatever else. It was a warm and perfect night.
We took off for a last hurrah in Tel Aviv in the evening where we went back to a few places we'd enjoyed the first time. It's funny how not getting lost and going to the same place twice on purpose makes you feel like such a local. We also found a few other neighborhoods we missed the first time around.
After that, all airplanes, all uneventful. Next: Sleep. So much sleep.