We spent Saturday afternoon and night walking through the Old City and visiting all the religious hot spots: the room where the last supper was (it was heavily populated by stray cats and tourists from Japan and England), the Western Wall and the kotel tunnels.There was so much to take in; a call to prayer from the mosque followed by church bells, the new smells at nearly every turn.
I
hadn't really thought about how being there would make me feel. When I walked up to put my paper in the Wall I literally felt my heart shake and my eyes welled up. I'm not sure where my reaction came from--the Wall, the history, the intensity of the people around me, the moment I took to write on a piece of paper and the time I spent thinking about the people I was writing for...I don't think I need to be sure.