A few days after booking the tickets to Memphis, I was invited to visit another--and most would argue holier--holy land, Israel.
But so many people have a gut-level, spiritual connection to Israel and a lifelong dream of coming here. On the flight to Tel Aviv from Newark, I sat next to a journalist from Orlando who was also making her first trip to Israel. As we landed, she said she felt like she was finally coming home. I assume many others on the plane were realizing similar dreams. Weeks ago, bogged down in my fear of flying and difficulty planning logistics, I had my first dream about Israel: I awoke, hot and startled by the smell of cumin and coriander in my nose. I was dreaming that I was being rolled in spices and deep-friend like a falafel.
I was more stressed out than serene when I got on the plane--and then something happened. The song being piped into the planewas, "Stuck On You" by none other than Elvis Presley. I really don't know what to make of it but I assume it's a good sign.
More to come on my eary days in Israel....for now, check out our hotel (this is one of many awesome views), a visit to a market (these little clocks appealed to me) and continuing jet lag (for everyone's benefit I didn't photograph that).